Monday, August 18, 2008

Orange-Berry Tart

To give life to beauty, the painter uses a whole range of colours, musicians of sounds, the cook of tastes—and it is indeed remarkable that there are seven colours, seven musical notes and seven tastes ~ Lucien Tendret

Orange-Berry Tart

Crust:

1 c. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/3 tsp. salt
1/2 cup whole oats
1/2 cup cold butter, cut in pieces
4 Tbsp. cold water

Combine dry ingredients, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add cold water, mix till dry ingredients form ball. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out on floured board and fit into tart pan.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.

Filling:

1 8 oz. pkg. Neufchatel cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. orange juice
2 tsp. finely grated orange peel

Combine cheese, sugar and orange juice in a bowl. Mix on high speed till fluffy. Stir in orange peel.

Topping:

2 cups blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup orange juice

Combine sugar, cornstarch and orange juice in pan. Add blueberries and cook over medium-high heat until thickened. Set aside to cool.

Spread cheese mixture in cooled tart shell. Top with blueberries and refrigerate for at least4 to 6 hours.

14 comments:

PGL said...

It must be cooler if you're turning on your oven. :) This looks very delicious Mom. I love dessert, I just like having to make it. lol

maybelle's mom said...

It sounds like fruit dessert is getting very common at your house. I finally did your meme and it is up on my site.

Theresa said...

I haven't had time in the kitchen lately due to a project that needs to be complete by the end of the month. Soooo can you fed-ex it to me!

Lucy said...

Ok, you're just killing me!!! Sounds just heavenly good, cream cheese in the filling & fruit on top, yummy!!

OhioMom said...

Thanks everyone ... Racquel if you lived closer (like in the same state as your Mama) you could have lots of treats (that is not a bribe, who said it was a bribe? LOL )

Maybelle's Mom ... gotta enjoy the fruits while we have them up north here .. soon they will be a memory.

Theresa ... Fed ex huh ? I will be watching for your return to the kitchen.

Lucy .. I did buy the low fat cheese, and with the nutritious blueberries this is actually a healthy dessert. Yep .. that is my story and I am sticking with it :)

Grace said...

there are oats in your crust--of course this is healthy! i happen to love blueberry and orange together, even more so than the ever-popular blueberry-lemon combo, so this is extremely appealing to me. :)

Poonam said...

Ohh that is a lovely tart! Nice blog!

OhioMom said...

Now see Grace, that is what I am talking about ... totally healthy and guilt free dessert :)

Hi Poonam .. thank you, love your blog too :)

Tasty Trends said...

yum..perfect for the summertime!

Beth said...

This looks very professional to me! Loving the blueberry orange combo too!

OhioMom said...

Thanks TT ... I love all the fruits available at the farmers markets this time of year.

Why thank you Beth, tarts and rustic pastries are easier for me than those fluted edges some bakers can put on a crust :)

MrBrownThumb said...

Ohiomom,

Did you take the photo yourself? If you did it looks like you're developing quite an eye for stylish food photography.

Kevin said...

That looks good! I have never had Neufchatel cheese and I am going to have to look for it. I really like the sound of the blueberry orange combo on a cheese base.

OhioMom said...

Kevin

This is a low fat version of cream cheese. The orange and blueberry is very good together, in fact I like it better than blueberry and lemon.