Sunday, August 3, 2008

Pasta Primavera

Locally grown vegetables are plentiful now and pairing them with pasta makes for a light and flavorful summertime meal. This dish got an extra shot of flavor with an Annatto-infused olive oil, find out how to create this oil by visiting the Spicehound Cooks (and Brews).

Pasta Primavera

1 pint grape tomatoes
1 small unpeeled garlic bulb

Toss with a little olive oil and salt. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted (or not) water to a boil. Cook 1/2 pound of pasta according to package directions. Heat 1/4 cup Annatto-infused olive oil over medium heat in a large, deep skillet. Add one chopped candy onion, let cook just till tender. Add some dried basil and a pinch of dried crushed red pepper and cook for 1 minute to allow the release of fragrance. Add 2 carrots, peeled and sliced julienne-style and cook for another 2 minutes. Add one unpeeled zucchini, either sliced or peeled in thin strips. Cook for just one minute more, no one likes mushy veggies. Turn off heat and add roasted tomatoes and garlic. Just squeeze the garlic bulb and the garlic will pop right out. Drain pasta, saving some of the pasta water. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of pasta water to veggie mixture. Add pasta and toss gently. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.


I have been awarded a Brilliant Blog Award by Racquel the Perennial Garden Lover. For those of you who do not know, Racquel is my daughter, she has a green thumb and a gorgeous garden to prove it.

So here's what else I'm suppose to do.

1. Put the logo on my blog.
2. Add a link to the person who awarded it to me.
3. Nominate other blogs.
4. Add links to those blogs.
5. Leave a message on your nominees’ blogs.

I am passing on this award to ...

Lucy of Sweets, Savories, Etc.
Janie of An Obsessive/Compulsive Plant Collector
Giz and family of Equal Opportunity Kitchen
Grace of A Southern Grace
Sue of Please, Don't Pass The Salt
Theresa of Baking and Beyond
Paula of It's All Gouda





17 comments:

shambo said...

Thanks for the award. I will try to be worthy of it. I'm experimenting tonight and will write about it if I'm successful.

I love the meal you made. Whether it's fresh vegetables tossed with pasta or topping a freshly baked bread crust, it doesn't matter. It's such a good, rustic type meal. And the flavored oil sounds really delicious. Such a simple addition can make a world of flavor difference.

PGL said...

Your pasta looks pretty tasty! I bet the Annatto-infused olive oil really gives it a nice flavor. Thanks for the praise about my garden & green thumb! :)

giz said...

Thanks "Mom" for the award. What a nice award to receive.
I wish you were here in my kitchen making that pasta dish. I'm getting ready to move house and cooking is the absolute furthest thing from my mind.

OhioMom said...

Sue

I can't wait to see what you create, I know it will be wonderful.

Hi Sweetie

It's not praise, it is the truth :)

Giz

Moving? I had to do that 5 years ago, it was a nightmare .. the last thing I wanted to do was cook :)

Proud Italian Cook said...

This is such a great colorful summer pasta meal, love it!

Grace said...

woohoo! thanks for thinking of me--you're too kind. :)
roasted grape tomatoes are sooo delicious. i can eat 'em like candy, but they'd be even better this way. excellent work. :)

Theresa said...

Thank you so much for such a nice award. Your thoughtfulness is much appreciated! Your dish looks wonderful as always.:)

OhioMom said...

Thanks Marie .. :)

Grace .. your welcome, the DS loves roasted maters.

Theresa .. your welcome, and thanks :)

Lucy said...

Summertime & the vegetables are soooo easy!! And.... when pared with a pasta... pasta primavera, to be exact, OMG!! Just DELISH!

OhioMom said...

You got it Lucy ... easy cooking with fresh veggies this time of year is the bestest!

Kevin said...

That looks nice and fresh and good.

OhioMom said...

Thanks Kevin :)

Darius T. Williams said...

Looking good...looking real good. LOL - now just add some heavy cream and it'll be even better - lol.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Paula said...

Congratulations on your award! I enjoy your blog, and think that it's neat how you and your daughter correspond via blogging!

Thank you for passing the award on to me! That was very kind of you.

(I just tried to post this and the computer went zappo. I hope this isn't a duplicate!)

OhioMom said...

Hi Paula

Nope, no duplicate. And your welcome, I love your blog :)

LOL Darius .. I am trying to eat healthier, so no cream. (this time)

Jacqueline said...

Graham would have a fit if I added this much garlic to a dish! Mind you if I didn't tell him .......

OhioMom said...

LOL .. the food critic is a garlic lover, cut a small bulb in half, it is really not that strong :)