Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lemon Squash

We have arrived at that time of year when Ohio-grown summer squashes are abundant. This is just one way to enjoy your grilled squash, add some lemon flavor. The sprig of Oregano is from my urban container garden.

Lemon Squash

Recipe:

1 zucchini squash
1 yellow squash
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. butter
1 Tbsp. dried Oregano
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Fresh Oregano sprig

Slice squashes and grill till crisp tender.
Combine broth, lemon juice, cornstarch, butter
Oregano and salt and pepper in a small saucepan
over medium heat; cook stirring constantly until
slightly thickened.

Pour over vegetables, toss gently. Garnish with
Oregano sprig.

Loosely adapted from "Cooking Light" (1995)

Note: This is also the time of year when you want to store away produce for the cold months ahead. I grate zucchini and store it in 2 cup containers (or freezer bags) for muffins, cakes and fritters, that way I can enjoy locally grown produce year round.


17 comments:

PGL said...

Grilled squash, yum-yum! One of my favorite veggies...

OhioMom said...

One of mine too :)

Lucy said...

Adding lemon to my favorite veggies, has got to be outstanding! Now why hadn't I thought of it? So glad you did! :-)

OhioMom said...

Well to give credit where due, I did adapt the idea from "Cooking Light", although I used "real" butter because I don't do "oleo" ... I also grilled the veggies instead of "steaming" them and I added more oregano than the original recipe called for ... just a tweak here and there :)

maybelle's mom said...

lemon squash is brill. never thought of it. And, the grating idea makes me think you are way more organized and forward thinking than I...

Lucy said...

Always tweaking here too!! LOL! I can't seem to leave a recipe alone either!

******* said...

Let the squash takeover BEGIN!! haha

OhioMom said...

LOL Lucy, as I am fond of saying, never met a recipe I didn't want to change :)

Maybelle's Mom ... I have a simple method, that requires no extra time. During this time of the year when I go to the farmers markets half of whatever I buy goes in the freezer ... by Fall I have a nice little stockpile put up for winter.

Maryann ... yeah let squash and all other veggies begin, I have missed fresh from the vine/ground produce.

Chef Jeena said...

What a beautiful and delicious fruit for the summer. It is so refreshing and zingy I love it. :-)

giz said...

I'll see your zucchini and yellow squash and raise you an acorn squash. I can never get enough squash - and I'll eat any variety - and not feel one bit guilty about being a pig about it :)

I love this recipe.

OhioMom said...

Jeena

Although some fruits, like lemons, are not local they are hard to resist.

Giz

I will see your acorn and raise you a butternut, by far my most favorite winter squash. I have even made pies from winter squashes .. better than pumpkin pie.

Proud Italian Cook said...

This is such a light dish just packed with flavor! Looks great!

OhioMom said...

Thanks Marie ... this was what I ate for dinner.

Michelle said...

Very interesting recipe, I'll have to give it a try!!

OhioMom said...

Hi Michelle

Yes it is, lots can be done with the ingredients too :)

shambo said...

Linda, I usually ignore hints about grating & freezing summer squash because I'm not fond of zucchini breads or muffins. But when you mentioned fritters... Now that got my attention. I just love savory squash fritters, patties, pancakes -- whatever you want to call them, I want to eat them! Great idea!

OhioMom said...

Hi Sue

Glad I gave a good tip, plus it is a good way to use up all that zucchini.